“He who knows his why can endure any how.” There have been many different versions of this quote; some by Victor Frankyl, Friedrich Nietzche, and many others. I want you to ask yourself, how are you going to endure 2017? What is your why for accomplishing your goals? It’s January eight, and I would bet that many people have already failed at their New Years Resolutions. I would also bet that these individuals did not have a clear plan or a clear why. I’m extremely blessed because my why has helped me create my how. The past five years my lovely wife has created a different approach to New Years Resolutions, and I have adapted it! Rather than creating one, or many, resolutions-she chooses a word of the year. Then, she applies that word of to each aspect of life. I started to embrace this new approach last year, when I chose the word create. Throughout 2016 I created in my work and personal life. After doing some self-reflection I would mark last year as an overall success. I will be creating an entire post on my reflections from 2016.
“He who knows his why can endure any how.” Victor Frankyl
As I change my reference point from the past to the future, my focal point moves to a new word. The word I’m embracing this year is intentional. I will be intentional about my finances, time, fitness, and relationships. Through my intentionality I am going to make 2017 my best year yet.
Throughout the year I’m going to follow the guide laid out by Dave Ramsey in Total Money Makeover to get closer to financial freedom.
- Set a month budget, AND FOLLOW it.
- Every dollar is assigned to a specific category before the start of the month.
- Plan out specific date nights
- Choose two days to go to the grocery store, and FOLLOW THROUGH
Replicate the financial strategy and apply it to planning out my day. This plan will be heavily focused on my free time. I have a great strategy for how I plan my workday, but need to be a lot more intentional with my free time.
- Breakdown every hour into four fifteen-minute chunks.
- Set a specific plan for each morning to maximize my limited time
- Prepare breakfast and lunches the night prior
- Set coffee maker to brew prior to my scheduled wake up time.
- Choose and layout my workout clothes and work clothes the night prior.
- Schedule dinner schedule on Sunday (ties into grocery schedule) and prepare anything possible prior to that specific night.
I will admit that a flaw of mine is flying by the seat of my pants. This typically can have a negative impact, especially in fitness routines. We all know that our bodies are a science. Therefore, it’s crucial that I plan, and follow through, on the proper rest and recovery time. I am an avid runner, and this year I will restart lifting weights.
- Running: Plan out my weeks with specific mileage days
- Choose a race I would like to sign up for
- Select a half-marathon training plan
- Follow through on rest days
- Build a strength base
- Find a strength program and integrate my running plan into the strength plan
Throughout 2017 I am going to be intentional about elevating newly budding friendships, rekindling a few older friendships, continually making my marriage better, and finding sponsors. I would highly recommend the book, (Forget a Mentor) Find a Sponsor by Sylvia Ann Hewlett.
- Weekly I will write one hand written letter and send to a friend, potential sponsor, or family member.
- Choose 3 days to dedicate my ride home from work to having a phone conversation with a family member, friend, work peer, or sponsor.
- Schedule, at least, one date night per week with my lovely wife.
“Theres only one thing more precious than our time and that’s who we spend it on.” Leo Christopher
I have a lot of goals for 2017. All of my goals originate from the word intentional. I will succeed in these goals simply by being intentional about my money, time, fitness, and relationships. I believe being intentional, and somewhat rigid about how I spend my time is the key to Pandora’s box of success in 2017!
If you could choose one word to focus on in 2017, what is it going to be? If you’ve already started, how’s it going? What are your New Years Resolutions?
Looking forward to hearing from you!